Tuesday, October 16, 2012

National Dictionary Day

Hi everyone! Based on a previous post last week, y'all know I finally got a fancy phone that can do all sorts of things. No, I don't mean to brag about some piece of technology that with every passing day inches closer and closer to utter obsolescence, but I do want to point out that there is a very handy and awesome app for the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

It's true. I love words. So much. I'm not always the best at using the wide range of vocabulary I possess in my head, but I do enjoy thinking about it, using these fancy words in my writing here and there. Also, when I stumble upon an unknown word, I always find the need to learn its meaning, its origin, and its evolution.

Anyway, if you have an iPhone or an Android, promptly make your way to the FREE Merriam-Webster app. You really won't regret it. There's even a "word of the day" so you can learn one new word (or remember an old word that you once learned) every single day. ALSO, it's National Dictionary Day today (in honor of Mr. Webster's birthday), so it is my pleasure to share with y'all...my TWO FAVORITE WORDS in the whole wide world (illustrated so y'all can better understand and remember these magnificent words).

1. abscond - v. to depart secretly and hide oneself

abscond (v.)
2. pariah - n. one that is despised or rejected; outcast

pariah (n.)

Pretty cool words, right?? :)

I might be back to share a song this evening...or I might not. I'm officially on vacation as soon as we shut the office down for the day. Boy, am I ready for a vacation. I have so much stuff to work on (both for fun and because I have to), but I'm excited! And by the way, I got those definitions from my oh-so-cool dictionary app, if you couldn't have guessed haha.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Well enjoy your much deserved holiday :) Abscond and pariah are actually two of my favourite words too. Abscond is just so fancy, and pariah is just so badass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, now that I'm home I definitely will enjoy my time off! :)

      Definitely, I just love how useful and beautiful these two particular words are...you never know when they'll come in handy!

      Delete