Friday, January 20, 2012

Time Out!


Lately, I've been feeling down. Not because of nostalgia or heartache, but because of the current state of the nation. (I dare not even think too much about the entire world, I wouldn't want to get out of bed if I did so!)


It hurts me.


...


Last evening I watched the Republican debate in South Carolina. Wow. Words cannot describe what I felt. And I didn't even watch the entire thing. You might be wondering, "What's the big deal? Debates always happen as we creep closer and closer to an election." Yes, that is quite true. And I don't mind the candidates debating about pro-life/pro-choice, war, and healthcare. But being a student of Economics, I do mind that they talk nonsense about what is best for our economy and for our people.


This is no time for budget cuts. This is no time to talk about keeping tax rates just the way they are or giving out tax breaks to those who don't need them. Maybe I'm a little biased, but don't we all need to agree that our economy is the biggest issue right now? And if this is true, then why can't we all agree to make a real, long-term plan that will ensure solid recovery?

Maybe I'm not making any sense. I guess what I'm really trying to say is: can we all just take a TIME OUT and figure things out? Without attacking one another (individually and political-party-wise)? This is the perfect time to come together and start over. But we can't really do that if we're all stuck at the most superficial level---attacking others' beliefs and appearance, and claiming to be the "best choice" to "beat Obama."

Who cares if you can beat President Obama? Can you fix our nation? That's my question.

...no answer? That's what I thought.

I really do apologize for my rant. I do not claim to be politically savvy or better than a Republican or a Democrat. And I do not claim that I am an awesome arguer. (Is arguer even a word?) But perhaps, my lack of structure reflects my frustration. Please tell me I'm not the only frustrated soul out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment